📒 Saa 2013
Modeling the ATP Production in Mitochondria1
Bertram, Pedersen, Luciani, and Sherman (BPLS) model is the simplification of Magnus and Keizer’s with some refinements introduced by Cortassa, 2003.
- 4 state variables (NADH, ATP, Ca, ΔΨ)
- some inaccuracies in the BPLS expressions while transcripting math expressions
- ANT: adenine nucleotide translocator
- Uni: calcium uniporter
The issues are fixed by the authers, hence the enhanced BPLS (eBPLS) model.
- Glycolysis from fructose-1,6-bisphosphate (FBP), as a parameter to pyruvate dehydrogenase (PDH) rate
- The same 4 state variable as those of BPLS
- Normalized (dimensionless) quantities for evaluation of freqency response
Discussion and conclusion
- Simplifications from KM model, corrections for BPLS model.
- The inertia of the system tends to increase considerably for high concentrations of cytosolic calcium and FBP.
My point of view
- Seems not so physiologically sane for the ATP level dropped to zero sometimes.
Saa A, Siqueira KM. Modeling the ATP production in mitochondria. Bull Math Biol. 2013 Sep;75(9):1636–51. ↩︎